27 Jun 2011

Gecko Workshop


TR2's studio 3. Photo courtesy Hugh Pearman, www.hughpearman.com




Theare Royal Plymouth's education programme takes care of its practioners too - freelancers included. (see previous blogs)

Last week, in the spacious and sprung-floor luxury or the TR2 building, I took part in four half-day training sessions. These were exactly what I needed to make physical & social connections to creative writing. Even though I use drama games and methods when working with groups devising/scriptwriting, my craft is one spent largely in solitude and whilst sitting down.

The opportunity to transfer the creative process into a physical context was rejuvenating, most effectively for me through Gecko Theatre Company's physical theatre workshop facilitated by Amit Lahav, the Company's creative director. Worked to almost-exhaustion whilst sharpening the response of senses and emotions is one of the best things I ever do...is it too late to change creative paths...?

Working alongside other practitioners from drama, puppetry, clowning, directing, writing, and other practices,ensured a group absolutely committed to the process in every fine moment.

Other excellent workshops were hosted by Graeae Theatre, TR2 associate Kevin Johnson, and puppeteers Stuff and Nonsense.

I am motivated to engage in more physical creative processes, though I suspect my change of direction will eventually be in the writing. Watch this space.