28 Apr 2011





The World is our Own Back Yard

If I stop throwing snails into my neighbour's garden
and she stops her cats from crapping in mine
and the kids accross the road stop dissing each other
stop spitting, stop hissing between their teeth -
start telling the little kids that their cycle helmets are cool

and people in their 4 by 4s stop driving past old folk at bus-stops
start giving them lifts all the way to the shops
then maybe they will buy apples for beggars
give smiles to stressed parents in supermarket queues,whose
snot-nosed kids squirm, screaming

then maybe all those parents would phone up their own and say: thank you -
thank you - and I love you,

then maybe all those loved-up mothers and good loving fathers
might contact their MPs and say: from now we will only vote for policies
that promise more love
and more love
and more
love

well then arms dealers will have to stay home, play golf
and peace will grow deep roots

and the people in my town will skip through the streets
and my neighbour will spay her six damn cats

oh if only, if only
I would stop throwing snails into my neigbour's garden.




From 'The Beckoning Wild' my pamphlet published by Acumen
Email me for details or see my earlier blog for Paypal link: £3.50