20 Apr 2010

Wild Words

This is the name of a class I teach for the Workers Educational Association. It runs every September for 6 weeks, and then January for 6 weeks, in the music room at Foxhole, Dartington, near Totnes in Devon.

I designed the course to encourage new writers to engage more deeply with their own creative process; to understand the unique shape of it, and the forces that reside there. It is crammed with exercises and techniques aimed at enriching language, inviting inspiration and dissolving blocks. We learn practical literary skills, engage with drama games, and use sensual, evocative resources such as fruit or other items from nature; artefacts, clothing, picture cards, published poems. I give a lot of energy and attention to the process and get to know each person's strengths and potentials as best as I can.

My learners always surprise, enthrall, move, and delight me with their work and their progress, and course feedback always leaves me with a beautiful, crystal clear sense of why it is that I do this work.

Further details from www.wea.org.uk